Sunday, November 18, 2012

Being a mother.



The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.                                                                                             -Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh

 Imagine a job that has only one shift, 24x7. A job where you don't get weekly, monthly or yearly leave. A job where you can never, ever, retire. You don't get paid or get a feedback. And the worst thing is that you don't know whether you did the job right or not until 20 or 30 years. Sounds like a nightmare? Yet, almost one out of every two people you meet eventually take up this job. Confused? Welcome to the world of  mothers.

I have been blessed with having mostly happy days in my life. I have played many roles in my life. I have been a good daughter, a loving sister, a dear friend, an adored and adoring wife. But the most demanding and rewarding role is as the mother of my daughter. And the happiest day of my life could be any one of the last two and a half years spent with her.

There are times when she wakes me up five times at night, refuses to wake up when I must get her ready, throws tantrums in busy shop floors, refuses to put on clothes, refuses to eat, refuses to sleep.. And then there are times when she suddenly turns around and hugs me with a smile. That is when I understand what love really is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment